Monday, April 26, 2010

"hope for the day"

I'm on the SilentGrief mailing email list, and these nuggets usually come on Mondays. Today's email was about "grief attacks." Boy, do I know these! In fact, I had one just last night. So many points here resonate with me. Hope is bigger than fear. I will make it through this; I have before, and so have others. I need to feel what I feel; ignoring it won't help. "The raw part of grief work.." Love it.

Hoping something here does good for your spirit, as well.

"HOPE FOR THE DAY" from SilentGrief.com

http://www.silentgrief.com/
-----------------------------------------------------------
April 26, 2010

Grief seems to hit us like a tidal wave at times when we least expect it. We can be plodding along in life "okay" when all of a sudden we get smacked hard with the reality of our loss, and we're left feeling like we are drowning in a sea of sorrow with no life jacket in sight.

Being aware of how grief works is a critical part of our grief journey. Knowing that we can get these "grief attacks" unexpectedly can actually help us to prepare for them. When your tidal wave of grief hits, take some long, deep breaths, and prepare to wait it out. Don't fight it or try to swim against the tide. You will only exhaust yourself both physically and emotionally. Feel the pain with the knowledge that following this storm, the seas will once again return to calm, and you will have better days ahead.

The pain will begin to subside as you begin to acknowledge the fact that grief attacks are only momentary in nature. The raw part of grief work has already been done, and you will be able to manage your grief by thinking more calm thoughts, journaling your emotions, taking a walk among nature, and calling on a friend or two for some encouragement.

Did you get hit by a tidal wave today? Take courage in knowing that you're going to make it. Others have walked this path before you and they've made it and you will, too. Your hope is bigger than your fear. Your courage is stronger than your pain. And, your hope is always alive and at work! -- Clara Hinton

"I will face my pain with courage. I will make it!" --Clara Hinton

"For the Lord God is a sun and shield; The Lord gives grace and glory." --Psalm 84:11

For added encouragement, add Clara Hinton as your friend on Facebook.

Also, visit Clara Hinton at: http://www.clara-hinton.blogspot.com/

3 kind words:

  1. Oh my gosh, Karin, ME TOO!!!! I got this and thought, "OH YEAH!"

    I think it's funny that you said they usually come on Mondays because honestly, I don't even remember signing up for it (though Lord knows I am all about the signups of all that helps!) and I wasn't getting them for a while and then all of a sudden I got one and it was SPOT on. Then the next time I got it, same thing! I haven't even paid attention to any rhyme or reason to them, just that they come at the PERFECT times!!!

    Thinking of you and praying for you loved one!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh I love this!! Thanks so much for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think it's helpful to know that other people have been where we have been and made it through it. That's encouraging to me.

    ReplyDelete